Tuesday, September 29, 2020

How Lord Peter does it

     Fentiman laughed, and ground out the offending cigarette stub on the nearest ash-tray. "I wonder anybody cares to know you," he said. The strain and bitterness had left his voice and he sounded merely amused.

    "They wouldn't," said Wimsey, "only they think I'm too well-off to have any brains. It's like hearing that the Earl of Somewhere is taking a leading part in a play. Everybody takes it for granted he must act rottenly. I'll tell you my secret. All my criminological investigations are done for me by a 'ghost' at three pounds a week, while I get the headlines and frivol with well-known journalists at the Savoy."

    "I find you refreshing, Wimsey," said Fentiman, languidly. "You're not in the least witty but you have a kind of obvious facetiousness which reminds me of the less exacting class of music hall."

(from The Unpleseantness in the Bellona Club, by Dorothy L. Sayers)

No comments: