Saturday, December 05, 2020

Go into business!

     "She said you had in herited the Mulberry Tree, and she wanted you to run it as a going concern."

    "That's right. We've been arguing about it for weeks."

    "I must say I agree with her that you ought to have a pop at it. There's gold in them thar hills, Blister. You might clean up big as a jolly innkeeper. And as for giving up your art - well, why not? It's obviously lousy."

    "I feel that, now that I've had time to think it over. Seeing her leg it like that sort of opened my eyes. Have you ever seen the girl you love sprinting away from you having hysterics?"

    "No, now you mention it, I can't say I have. I've known Aggie to throw her weight about on occasion, but always in a fairly static manner. Unpleasant, I should imagine."

    "It does something to you, Freddie. It makes you realize that you've been a brute and a cad and a swine."

(from Full Moon, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: