Monday, February 15, 2021

Good at impersonations

     "You'll call yourself something else?" he said, for he was a man who liked to approach these things from every angle.

    "Precisely."

    "But - "

    "I never like that word 'But.'"

    "You couldn't get away with it."

    Lord Ickenham laughed lightly. "My dear fellow, at The Cedars, Mafeking Road, in the suburb of Mitching Hill last spring I impersonated in a single afternoon and with complete success not only an official from the bird shop, come to clip the claws of the parrot, but Mr. Roddis, lessee of The Cedars, and a Mr. J. G. Bulstrode, a resident of the same neighborhood. It has been a lasting grief to me that I was given no opportunity of impersonating the parrot, which I am convinced I should have done on broad, artistic lines."

(from Uncle Dynamite, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: