Friday, April 09, 2021

A drink with kick

     I found myself in a large room with an enormous picture stretching across the whole of one all, and under the picture a counter, and behind the counter divers chappies in white, serving drinks. They have barmen, don't you know, in New York, but not barmaids. Rum idea!

    I put myself unreservedly into the hands of one of the white chappies. He was a friendly soul, and I told him the whole state of affairs. I asked him what he thought would meet the case.

    He said that in a situation of that sort he usually prescribed a "lightning whizzer," and invention of his own. He said this was what rabbits trained on when they were matched against grizzly bears, and there was only one instance on record of the bear having lasted three rounds.

(from "Extricating Young Gussie," by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)



No comments: