Monday, September 27, 2021

Those music halls were rough places

     "I have never had such a shock in my life. The book is an outrage. It is impossible. It is horrible!

    "But, dash it, the family weren't so bad as all that."

    "It is not a history of the family at all. Your uncle has written his reminiscences! He calls them 'Recollections of a Long Life.'"

    I began to understand. As I say, Uncle Willoughby had been somewhat on the tabasco side as a young man, and it began to look as if he might have turned out somethign pretty fruity if he had started recollecting his long life.

     "If half of what he has written is true," said Florence, "your uncle's youth must have been perfectly appalling. The moment we began to read, he plunged straight into a most scandalous story of how he and my father were thrown out of a music-hall in 1887!"

    "Why?"

    "I decline to tell you why."

    It must have been something pretty bad. It took a lot to make them cuck people out of music-halls in 1887.

(from Carry On, Jeeves, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: