Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Brainy girls, dull boys

     "It is a known scientific fact that there is a particular style of female that does seem strangely attracted to the sort of fellow I am."

    "Very true, sir."

    "I mean to say, I know perfectly well that I've got, roughly speaking, half the amount of brain a normal bloke ought to possess. And when a girl comes along who has about twice the regular allowance, she too often makes a bee line for me with the love light in her eyes. I don't know how to account for it, but it is so."

    "It may be Nature's provision for maintaining the balance of the species, sir."

    "Very possibly. Anyway, it has happened to me over and over again. It was what happened in the case of Honoria Glossop. She was notoriously one of the brainiest women of her year at Girton, and she just gathered me in like a bull pup swallowing a piece of steak."

(from Carry On, Jeeves, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: