Saturday, November 13, 2021

Inconvenient sons-in-law

     Simon watched Linette's slender figure make its way through isolated empty tables. "You have," he said, facing Bonnet, "two gorgeous girls in the family. The other one," he thrust his chin, "is rolled in one of my shirts upstairs."

    "Ah," Bonnet said, not particularly surprised at the information. "Which one, may I ask, do you intend to keep?"

    "The real one."

    "Ah," Bonnet said again, "an extremely wise choice. What will you do with - " He too thrust up his chin to indicate the higher reaches of the hotel where Simon had his room.

    "Leave her in my hands. I shall sell her for you, sir. With your permission. And turn over the cash this evening."

    "And the other gorgeous girl? Shall I turn her over to you in exchange?"

    "Thank you, sir. I hoped you would."

    Bonnet made a restless stir. "Fate," he said, "to havfe landed up with an honest son-in-law."

(from How To Steal A Million, by Michael Sinclair)

No comments: