Friday, July 15, 2022

Dubious distinction

 "Will you tell me the story of your life, or shall I tell mine first?"

"I don't know that I have any particular story."

"Come, come!"

"Well, I haven't."

"Think again. Let us thrash this thing out. You were born!'

"I was."

"Where?"

"In London."

"Now we seem to be started. I was born in Much Middleford."

"I'm afraid I never heard of it."

"Strange! I know your birth-place quite well. But I have not yet made Much Middleford famous. In fact, I doubt if I ever shall. I am beginning to realize that I am one of the failures."

"How old are you?"

"Twenty-six."

"You are twenty-six, and you call yourself a failure? I think that is a shameful thing to say."

"What would you call a man of twenty-six whose only means of making a living was the writing of Gridley Quayle stories? An empire builder?"

(from Something Fresh, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: