Thursday, July 06, 2023

It's up to Charlie

     "You've got something on Tarneverro?" asked the Chief, looking at him keenly.

    "With regard to killing - not one solitary thing. At moment when that took place, I believe he was most decidedly elsewhere. Gazing in another direction - kindly permit that I gaze that way a few hours longer before I divulge my thoughts." The plump detective put one hand to his head. "Haie, just now I wander, lost in maze of doubts and questionings."

    "You'll have to cut that out, Charlie," his Chief told him in a kindly  but somewhat worried tone. "The honor of the force is at stake. If these people are going to come over here to our quiet little city and murder each other at Waikiki, we've got to prove to them that they can't get away with it. I rely on you."

(from The Black Camel, by Earl Derr Biggers)

No comments: