Sunday, October 13, 2024

Not very complimentary toward Grandma

     "So that's it, is it? Parsloe's pig-man going about offering three to one - against the form-book, I take it?"

    "Most decidedly. Pride of Matchingham was awarded second prize last year, but it is a quite inferior animal to the Empress."

    "Then you look after that pig of yours, Clarence," The Hon. Galahad spoke earnestly. "I see what this means. Parsloe's up to his old games and intends to queer the Empress somehow?"

    "Queer her?"

    "Nobble her. Or, if he can't do that, steal her."

    "You don't mean that."

    "I do mean it. The man's as slippery as a greased eel. He would nobble his grandmother if it suited his book. Let me tell you I've known young Parsloe for thirty years and I solemnly state that if his grandmother was entered in a competition for fat pigs and his commitments made it desirable for him to get her out of the way, he would dope her bran-mash and acorns without a  moment's hesitation."

(from Summer Lightning, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: