Monday, July 13, 2020

Character must be at a premium

"I believe in the synergy of the group, believe that the sum of the parts is greater than the individual talents of the members. Therefore, I have always tried to recruit players with great character, players who are selfless and committed to the team first. But great talent is an easy seduction. It is awful easy to look at a kid with that kind of talent and think that it really doesn't matter that he won't go to class, that he will lie, that he is lazy or selfish. That doesn't matter because I can teach him integrity. Yet, in reality, I know I can't. Not in the short amount of time I have to spend with him. Therefore, I want to hold character in the highest regard."

(from A Season with Coach Dick Bennett, by Eric Ferris)

No comments: