Thursday, July 16, 2020

Vulnerability

    "I've always said there is a great blessing in vulnerability, especially if that vulnerability is understood. I'm vulnerable because of my pride, and I know that. So I have to be vigilant almost all of my waking hours, because I know that if I let myself go, I would be more prideful than anybody. That is what I mean by the blessing of vulnerability, and pride is my vulnerability. For example, it is like the athlete who can't shoot the ball. He better know that. There is nothing worse than a kid who can't shoot the ball but thinks he can! And so, self-knowledge in this case, as with my pride, is invaluable. My pride wells up inside of me and I have to bite my tongue and walk away more times than I would care to admit."

(from A Season With Coach Dick Bennett, by Eric Ferris)

No comments: