Monday, July 05, 2021

Hearts of gold have nothing to do with it

    "You sound annoyed. And I can't see why. I should have thought you would have been only too glad of the chance of helping me get to the man I love. Having this heart of gold I hear so much about."

    "The point is not whether I have a heart of gold. Heaps of people have hearts of gold and yet would be upset at finding girls in their bedrooms in the small hours. What you don't seem to realize, what you and this Jeeves of yours have omitted to take into your calculations, is that I have a reputation to keep up, and unspotted name to maintain in its pristing purity. This cannot be done by entertaining girls who come in, in the middle of the night, without so much as a by-your-leave and coolly pinch your heliotrope pyjamas . . ."

    "You didn't expect me to sleep in a wet swimming suit?" 

(from Thank You, Jeeves, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: