Sunday, August 06, 2023

Glad to be rid of them

     "Do you think Robert Fyfe took those lost bits of the photograph?" Bradshaw inquired.

    Charlie shook his head. "Impossible. He had not yet arrived on scene. Alas! it is not so simple as that. It is not simple at all." He sighed. "I fear I will be worn to human skeleton before I disentangle this web. And you" - he looked at the girl - "you alone have melted off at least seven pounds."

    "I'm so sorry," Julie said.

    "Do not fret. Always my daughters tell me I am too enormous for beauty. And beauty is, of course, my only aim." He stood up. "Well, that is that. Jimmy, do not let this young woman escape you. She has proved herself faithful one. Also, she is most unexpert deceiver I have ever met. What a wife she will make for somebody."

    "Me, I hope," Bradshaw grinned.

    "I hope so, too." Charlie turned to the girl. "Accept him, and all is forgiven between you and me. The seven pounds is gladly donated."

(from The Black Camel, by Earl Derr Biggers)

No comments: