Monday, August 07, 2023

I was here

     "To be young, in love, and on this beach," he said. "What greater happiness than that? Taste it to the full. It happens once, then time moves on. Moment comes when gold and pearls can not buy back the raven locks of youth."

    "Why, Charlie, you're getting sentimental," Bradshaw cried.

    Chan nodded. "I think of my own courtship on this shore - so long ago. How long, you wonder? I am now father of eleven children - judge for yourself."

    "You must be very proud of them," Julie ventured.

    "As proud as they will permit," Chan answered. "At least, I have done my part to link past with future. When I move on, leaving eleven offspring, can any man say I have not been here? I think not."

(from The Black Camel, by Earl Derr Biggers)

No comments: