Monday, September 25, 2023

But he was polite about it

     Ben Cowan looked down at this boot toes. He looked up the street and down the street, and then he looked up at her, and thought nobody had ever lived who was so beautiful. He said, "I'll come back."

    He turned quickly toward the restaurant, then stopped and looked around. "And I won't be gone long!"

    He led them all inside and seated them and ordered bull beef for them, with frijoles and tortillas and plenty of coffee. He had no appetite himself. He just sat there staring out of the window.

    Bijah Catlow looked at him. "Ben, I swear I never saw the like. The most beautiful girl in Sonora, an' you almost muffed it! I'd a notion to slug you!"

    "Shut up," Ben said, politely.

(from Catlow, by Louis L'Amour)

No comments: