Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Something between them

     Sometimes the most imporant things in a man's life are the ones he talks about the least. It was that way with Dru and me. No day passed that I did not think of her much of the time. She was always with me, and even when we were together we didn't talk a lot because so much of the time there was no need for words; it was something that existed between us that we both understood.

    The happiest hours of my life were those when I was riding with Dru or sitting across a table from her. And I'll always remember her face by candlelight. It weemed I was always seeing it that way, and soft sounds of the rustle of gowns, the tinkle of silver and glass, and Dru's voice, never raised and always exiting.

(from The Daybreakers, by Louis L'Amour)

No comments: