Sunday, August 02, 2020

Analyzing anger

    "As you know, the other night I got angry and blew up. That has been a weakness of mine since I started coaching." He was visibly upset as he recounted his actions. "That is so far from being what I expect of myself. I think coming down hard on a team actually makes htem play tighter, which it did against Temple, as it often does. Thankfully, for the first time in my career, I was able to turn my anger around and be constructive in a short period of time. I had settled down and was more positive by halftime."
    He paused and laughed at himself. "When my teams have responded to those methods in the past, I think it was in spite of my approach, not because of it." His mood became serious again. "Every time I do that [explode at the team], I lose myself a little, and I don't like that."

(from A Season with Coach Dick Bennett, by Eric Ferris)

No comments: