Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Winning the war

     He once again sat back and sighed heavily. "I am working very hard to keep the Lord first in my life. That has been a lifetime struggle, but it has become more dramatic in the last five to ten years. I battle that constantly and it is never far from my consciousness. My faith is real to me and I want to keep my priorities straight, but I have been so conditioned to this competitive world that I have terrible conflicts. I have let my competitive nature overrun my Christianity way too much. I know it is improper to swear, nag players, get after referees, or worse, lose my temper. In my desire to be competitive I step over the line. That is the battle. I have lost the battle numerous times, but I am still determined to win the war."

(from A Season with Coach Dick Bennett, by Eric Ferris)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was an exceptionally good quote.
A