Tuesday, March 19, 2024

A fine fellow

 The farther I penetrated over the polished floor, the more vividly was it brought home to me that I was one of the submerged tenth and could have done with a haircut. I had not been aware when I left home that my hair was unusually long, but now I seemed to be festooned by a matted and offensive growth. A patch on my left shoe which had had a rather comfortable look in Ebury Street stood out like a blot on the landscape. No, I was not at my ease; and when I reflected that in a few moments I was to meet Ukridge's aunt, that legendary figure, face to face, a sort of wistful admiration filled me of the beauty of the nature of one who would go through all this to help a girl he had never even met. There was no doubt about it - the facts spoke for themselves - I was one of the finest fellows I had ever known. Nevertheless, there was no getting away from it, my trousers did bag at the knee.

(from "First Aid For Dora," by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: