Thursday, March 21, 2024

Not Cecil!

     "A lot there is the matter with your ankle."

    "Sprained it yesterday, old man. Nothing serious," said Ukridge, reassuringly. Just enough to lay me up for a couple of days."

    "Yes, till that ghastly female and her blighted boy had got well away."

    Pained astonishment was written all over Ukridge's face. "You don't mean to say you didn't like her? Why, I thought you two would be all over each other."

    "And I suppose you thought that Cecil and I would be twin souls."

    "Cecil?" said Ukridge, doubtfully. "Well, to tell you the truth, old man, I'm not saying that Cecil doesn't take a bit of knowing. He's the sort of boy you have to be patient with and bring out, if you understand what I mean. I think he grows on you."

    "If he ever tries to grow on me, I'll have him amputated."

(from "The Return of Battling Billson," by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: