Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"Wildflower" by Skylark

VERY PERSONAL POST.
Below are the lyrics to a popular song called "Wildflower," done by a group called Skylark, which had this one big hit only. It was in the Top 10 the week we were married, and probably is the only song I will not be able to listen to should I survive Pam.

The words were written by a policeman, and beyond that I know little about it.  The line that is particularly touching is, "Sleep's the only freedom that she knows." It is also one of the few popular tunes I have heard with a harp included.

WILDFLOWER
She's faced the hardest times you could imagine
And many times her eyes fought back the tears
And when her youthful world was about to fall in
Each time her slender shouldersbore the weight of all her fears
And a sorrow no one hears still rings in midnight silence in her ears

Let her cry, for she's a lady
Let her dream, for she's a child
Let the rain fall down upon her
She's a free and gentle flower, growing wild

And if by chance I should hold her, let me hold her for a time
But if allowed just one possession, I would pick her from the garden, to be mine

Be careful how you touch her, for she'll awaken
And sleep's the only freedom that she knows
And when you walk into her eyes, you won't believe
The way she's always paying for a debt she never owes
And a silent wind still blows that only she can hear and so she goes.

Let her cry, for she's a lady
Let her dream, for she's a child
Let the rain fall down upon her
She's a free and gentle flower, growing wild

8 comments:

audreysnanny said...

wow!! What shall I say. I wish I had the way with words like you do. Sometimes it would come in handy!!!

MICHAELSPAPPY said...

I know that sometimes young people forget that the old were young once, also, and have had all the emotions they feel. One of my most prized possessions is a love letter written to my grandmother by my grandfather about the time that the U. S. entered World War I.

MICHAELSPAPPY said...

I found the answer to the circumstances under which the song was written. I missed it a little.

A. In 1970 I was dating a nurse, whom I would eventually marry in 1971 (it only lasted four years, though - we were both not ready for such a commitment). One night I went to pick her up at her apartment, as we had planned on going out. When she opened the door I saw that she was upset to the point of tears. She still had a housecoat on and had her hair wrapped in a towel after a shower. She told me that two elderly ladies she had been caring for in the hospital had died that day at work, and she felt terribly sad about it, as she had come to know them fairly well over a period of time. Anyway, she more or less vented her feelings and I just listened. After she was finished, she thanked me for listening, and said she would get ready for our date. She went into the bedroom and closed the door, and I sat and watched TV waiting for her to come out. When she didn't return, I knocked on the door but she didn't answer, so I went in to find her fast asleep on the bed, still in her housecoat and with the towel still wrapped around her head. I guess she was just exhausted after her emotional day. So, I put a blanket over her, being careful not to wake her, and went home and wrote the song in about fifteen minutes or so. It was absolutely inspired. I have always felt that all I did was hold the pen in my hand, and that God did the writing. The "Be careful how you touch her, for she'll awaken" part, refers to when I put the blanket over her. "The way she's always paying, for a debt she never owes..." - It wasn't her fault that the two ladies had died, and yet she felt so badly for them that she was crying.

Nardo said...

awww. that makes me want to cry. Do you know if there is a recording of the song? I would love to hear it.

MICHAELSPAPPY said...

Yes, I have a recording at the house.

MICHAELSPAPPY said...

In fact, this song has its own website.

http://www.wildflowersong.com/

MICHAELSPAPPY said...

You can actually hear two performances of Wildflower on line. Google for Wildflower & Skylark. On the second and third pages of the search I did there are two Youtube performances. One is a professional video with the recording that was released. I am pretty sure that the pregnant woman in the picture is also the singer in the second video, who appears to be pregnant, and would be B. J. Cook, who was married to the keyboard player. The second video is a live performance.

oldbaptistadam said...

Pappy, that was pretty good - well said.
Too bad we all didn't get your smooth genes.
Here is a link to one of the youtube recordings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCFNIWxHS8E