Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Conservatives - a word of caution

  1. Most people of my religious persuasion would describe themselves as conservatives politically. I might say that in generalof myself, but I would make some important exceptions.

    Most who call themselves conservative pretty much write a blank check to the military and take the attitude that the military can do no wrong and ought to be supported without exception. This is a very dangerous attitude. I appreciate the courage of dutiful men who serve their country. However, just because a man bears arms and does not mind fighting does not make him virtuous, nor sound in his reasoning. Many men just like to fight. Just because a man does not mind killing people does not by itself make him a hero. The ONLY thing that stands between us and a dictatorship is the willingness of the military to obey the commands of a civilian, and the military MUST be kept in check. And I see no reason why they should not have to pinch pennies just like the rest of us.

    Second, I do not believe that we ought to do just anything we can to make the job of the police easier. The whole purpose of the Constitution is to make their job hard. If they can just ignore due process, then it makes their jobs easier, but our freedoms go out the window.

    Both these are attitudes that many conservatives have, but I do not share them.

No comments: