Monday, August 20, 2012

La Boheme

It worked out that on the way to work I was able to listen to the entirety of the final act of La Boheme performed at the Met in 2002. That has to be one of the saddest and most dramatic endings to any piece of music. And, unlike many operas, the music throughout the final act remains compelling and absolutely beautiful. I still think that Marcello's single word, "Corragio," just before Rodolfo's final "Mimi's", has to be one of the most dramatic words in all operatic literature.

I was reminded of the time Pam and I were able to see La Boheme at the Met in 1985 - with Placido Domingo conducting.

3 comments:

Rebekah Sacran said...

What?! I did not know that. What an opportunity!

MICHAELSPAPPY said...

We were in the top balcony (there were three or four of them). From that distance we could not see their faces distinctly, but the acoustics were perfect.

Anonymous said...

Placido was conducting? Or was he the lead?
I forgot you got to do that. Must have been a good time.
A