Sunday, March 22, 2020

It makes women humble

     "Women should be encouraged to take up gold. There are, I admit, certain drawbacks attendant on their presence on the links. I shall not readily forget the occasion on which a low, raking drive of mine at the eleventh struck the ladies' tee box squarely and came back and stunned my caddie, causing me to lose stroke and distance. Nevertheless, I hold that the advantages outnumber the drawbacks. Gold humanizes women, humbles their haughty natures, tend, in short to knock out of their systems a certain modicum of that superciliousness, that swank, which makes wooing a tough proposition for the diffident male. You may have found this yourself?"
     "Well, as a matter of fact," admitted the young man, "now I come to think of it I have noticed that geneieve has shown me a bit more respect since she took up the game. When I drive 230 yards after she has taken six sloshes to cover fifty, I sometimes think that a new light comes into her eyes."
     "Exactly," said the Sage.

(from "The Rough Stuff," by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: