Monday, July 18, 2022

Blue-blooded nuts

    "Adams, I'm getting absent-minded. Have you ever noticed any traces of absent-mindedness in me before?"

    "Oh no, your lordship."

    "Well, it's deuced peculiar. I have no recollection whatsoever of placing that fork in my pocket. . . . Adams, I want a taxi-cab."

    He glanced round the room, as if expecting to locate one by the fireplace.

    "The hall-porter will whistle one for you, your lordship."

    "So he will, by George, so he will. Good day Adams."

    "Good day, your lordship."

    The Earl of Emsworth ambled benevolently to the door, leaving Adams with the feeling that his day had not been ill-spent. He gazed almost with reverence after the slow-moving figure.

    "What a nut!" said Adams to his immortal soul.

(from Something Fresh, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: