Wednesday, November 16, 2022

We do agree occasionally

     "There are a lot of 'ifs' in this business, my son. I'm not claiming anything. May've been born and brought up in the city here and never left the Bronx once, for all I know. Or this may have been his first visit to New York. But I'm betting he wasn't a New Yorker."

    "Probably not," drawled Ellery. "I just made the point to get it on the record. I think you're right, myself."

    "Oh, you do?" snapped the Inspector. "When you use that tone of voice I get suspicious. Come on - what d'ye know?"

     "Nothing that you don't know," laughed Ellery. "I've told you every little thing that's happened so far when you weren't around. Can't I agree with you once in a while without being jumped like horse thief?"

(from The Chinese Orange Mystery, by Ellery Queen)

No comments: