Tuesday, June 13, 2023

A butler does have his dignity

     "You were in Hollywood before that, maybe?"

    "For about eighteen months, I was."

    "A butler, always?"

    "Always a butler, sir. I had a number of berths before I went with Miss Fane. I am bound to ay that I was unhappy in all of them."

    "The work was, perhaps, too difficult?"

    "Not at all, sir. I objected to the familiarity of my employers. There is a certain reserve that should exit between servant and master. I found that lacking. The ladies I worked for would often weep in my presence and tell me stories of unrequited love. The gentlemen who engaged me were inclined to treat me like some long-lost brother. One in particular was accustomed to address me as 'old pal' and when a bit under the influence, would embrace me in the presence of guests. A man has his dignity, sir."

(from The Black Camel, by Earl Derr Biggers)

No comments: