Monday, November 20, 2023

When bad memory strikes

     "He had lost the only girl he had ever loved, and you know what a man's like when that happens to    him."

    "How was that, sir?"

    "Apparently he fell in love with some girl on the boat going over to Nw York, and they parted at the Customs sheds, arranging to meet next day at her hotel. Well, you know what Biffy's like. He forgets his own name half the time. He never made a note of the address, and it passed clean out of his mind. He went about in a sort of trance, and suddenly woke up to find that he was engaged to Honoria Glossop."

    "I did not know of this, sir."

    "I don't suppose anybody knows of it except me. He told me when I was in Paris."

    "I should have supposed it would have been feasible to make inquiries, sir."

    "That's what I said. But he had forgotten her name."

    "That sounds remarkable, sir."

    "I said that too. But it's a fact. All he remembered was that her Christian name was Mabel. Well, you can't go scouring New York for a girl named Mabel, what?"

    "I appreciate the difficulty, sir."

(from Carry On, Jeeves, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: