Friday, December 22, 2023

I won't mess with them!

     "Marshal, people have said some pretty hard things about me, but I don't think you ever heard anybody question my nerve."

    "That's right," Chantry agreed, honestly. "I never did."

    "Then understand this. I have a business here, a fair-sized investment in the town, but if those boys come looking I am going to crawl into the nearest hole and pull the hole in after me."

    "Who are they?"

    "I've said enough, and I pray to the good Lord that I am wrong, but Marshal . . . find your killer, and find him quick."

(from Borden Chantry, by Louis L'Amour)

If you have heard this novel, you know that "those boys" are the Sacketts, and the unidentified corpse at the beginning of the story is one of the lesser known of the Sackett characters.

No comments: