Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A note about The Great Escape

Great Escape. I found on a blog this appreciative note of one of my favorite scenes in that movie: I have just seen "The Great Escape" once again (well, for the 1.000th time...and so far in...mmm...4 languages?? But this is the first time I have ever seen it in English, its original soundtrack. And thus, I have truly enjoyed the wonders of the script.)My favourite character is no doubt Flight Lt. Blythe, played wonderfully by Donald Pleasence. A lovely English birdwatcher that appreciates the little joys of life, such as a cup of tea. He is the one in charge of the paperwork for the would-be fugitives, and loses his sight as the movie reaches the end.Together with James Garner (playing Flight Lt. Hendley) he creates my favourite scene of the movie...the entire quote goes: (he´s preparing some tea and offers a cup to his American fellow who refuses arguing that he has only had it when ill)"Afraid this tea's pathetic. Must have used these wretched leaves about twenty times. It's not that I mind so much. Tea without milk is so uncivilized." *Apparently Donald Pleasence was a prisioner of war himself during WWII.

1 comment:

Drewba said...

one of the few movies i seem to be able to watch over and over again and not grow weary of. that note about Donald makes it even cooler.