Monday, July 21, 2014

One needs one's hat

          "What I propose to do," continued Psmith, without waiting for an answer, "is to touch you for the good round sum of five thousand and three dollars."
          Mr. Waring half rose. "Five thousand dollars!"
          "Five thousand and three dollars," said Psmith. "It may possibly have escaped your memory, but a certain minion of yours, one J. Repetto, utterly ruined a practically new hat of mine. If you think that I can afford to come to New York and scatter hats about as if they were mere dross, you were making the culminating error of a misspent life. Three dollars are what I need for a new one. The balance of your cheque, the five thousand, I propose to apply to making those tenements fit for a tolerably fastidious pig to live in."

(from Psmith Journalist, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

220px-PsmithJournalist.jpg

More HERE about hats.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I love PSmith. I need to borrow some more Wodehouse from you. I have read all the ones that I own over 10 times each.