Sunday, February 23, 2020

Make him look better?

     "But what I came about, Bertie," said Gussie, breaking off abruptly as if this dip into the past pained him, "was to ask if you could lend me that tie of yours with the pink lozenges on the dove-grey background. I shall be dropping in at the Vicarage tomorrow morning, and I want to look my best."
     Apart from the fleeting thought that he was a bit of an optimist if he expected a tie with pink lozenges on a dove-grey background to undo Nature's handiwork to the extent of making him look anything but a fish-faced gargoyle, my reaction to these words was a feeling of profound relief that I had had that talk with Corky and obtained her promise that she would lose no time in choking Gueeie off and putting him on the ice.

(from The Mating Season, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: