Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Nether Wallop?

     "Well, she comes from the Middle West, and seems to be trying to be twice as Bohemian as the rest of the girls down in Greenwich Village. She wears her hair bobbed and goes about in a kimono. She's probably read magazine stories about Greenwich Village, and has modelled herself on them. It's so silly, when you can see Hicks Corner sticking out of her all the time."
     "That one got past me before I could grab it. What did you say she had sticking out of her?"
     "I meant that anybody could see that she came from somewhere out in the wilds. As a matter of fact, Bill tells me that she was brought up in Snake Bite, Michigan."
     "Snake Bite? What rummy names you have in America! Still, I'll admit there's a village in England called Nether Wallop, so who am I to cast the first stone?"

(from The Indiscretions of Archie, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: