Friday, June 14, 2013

That pimple-faced piano player

In the late 1980's, I worked for a furniture company and had to attend an exhibition in Chicago. One of our biggest customers smuggled us aboard a yacht one of our competitors had leased to entertain their customers, with lots of entertainment and food. I wandered around, not being much interested in most of what was going on. Back in one of the rooms where a table of snacks was, there was a young man, probably in his early 20's, who was playing a piano. Since I enjoy that sort of thing, I struck up a conversation with him. I asked him if he took requests, and he said that he did, so I had him play several tunes. He would ask me what key I wanted them played in, since he could play any of them in any key. He was really good. It was the best part of the trip. I wish I knew his name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard that story before, Pappy.
A