Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Better know which is which

          "I say again, that I have a presentiment that this marriage will never take place. I had a similar presentiment regarding the wedding of my sister-in-law and a young man named John Porter. I said, 'I feel that this wedding will never take place.' And events proved me right. John Porter, at the very moment when he was about to enter the church, was arrested on a charge of bigamy."
          George uttered protesting noises. "But my morals are above reproach."
          "So you say."
          "I assure you that, as far as women are concerned, I can scarcely tell one from another."
          "Precisely," replied Mrs. Waddington, "what John Porter said when they asked him why he had married six different girls."

(from The Small Bachelor, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: