Thursday, March 06, 2014

When I saw Charlton Heston

During the late 1980's, I worked as the Marketing Services Administrator for Today's Kids, a toy company headquartered in Booneville, Arkansas. One of my duties was to keep up with the different figures that were being licensed for use on various products. For example, you might see Mickey Mouse on toys. One trip I had to make to New York was to the Licensing Show held there. One of the main events of the show was a speech made by actor Charlton Heston, of Ten Commandments fame. My brother once remarked that Heston was a chronic over-actor, and that was very true - even in his speeches. He tended to be very wordy and not very specific. This would have been during the latter years of the Reagan administration, and as Heston was leaving the stage after the speech, the Master of Ceremonies hinted that since we had one actor in the White House, maybe Heston also might be seen in such a role in the days ahead. Heston's body language did nothing to contradict that statement. To my knowledge, he never ran for national office, but he did become a national quasi-political figure due to his affiliation with the National Rifle Association.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard that story, Pappy.
A