Thursday, November 20, 2014

A name hard to remember

          "I came to this room to be alone. Am I not to have a moment of privacy?"
          "Ye, come along, Clarence," said Gally. "Connie is in a strange mood. We are not wanted here, and I am anxious to meet this gifted youth. What's his name?"
          "Whose name?"
          "The gifted youth's."
          "What gifted youth?"
          "Listen, Clarence," said Gally patiently. "You have a new secretary. You concede that?"
          "Oh, certainly, certainly."
          "Well, I want to know what his name is."
          "Oh, his name? You mean his name. Quite. Quite. It's . . . no, I've forgotten."
          "Smith? Jones? Brown? Cholmondeley-Majoribanks? "Vavasour-Dalrymple? Ernle-Plunkett-Drax-Plunkett?"
          "Lord Emsworth stood in thought. "No . . . Ah, I have it. It's Vail."
          "Vail!"
          "Gerald Vail. He asked me to call him Jerry."
          The door closed behind them. The sharp, wordless cry which had proceeded from Lady Constance they attributed to a creaking hinge.

(from Pigs Have Wings, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: