Saturday, February 23, 2013

Comparing "The Quiet Man" and "McLintock"

The Quiet Man was released in 1952, and McLintock! in 1963. Maureen O'Hara was the co-star in both, but the similarity does not end there. In both movies, she plays a fractious wife, and in both there is a famous scene in which she has her public comeuppance. I have often wondered if the scene from McLintock was inspired by the hugely successful one in The Quiet Man.

By the way, if you have never seen The Quiet Man, you need to put it on your "must see" list. It is one of my two favorite movies of all time. (The Great Escape is the other.) The assortment of character actors in this movie is outstanding.

But the real show-stealer is Barry Fitzgerald. How he did not win an Oscar for his performance in this movie is beyond me. After you have seen this show, every time anyone says "Irish," you will immediately think of Barry Fitzgerald.

3 comments:

nanny said...

love both movies.

Rebekah Sacran said...

I do think of him every time.

Drewba said...

The Great Escape is one of very few movies of which I have long remarked that I can watch over and over without tiring (within reason of course).
My personally most-quoted line therefrom being "Good stuff, Hilts!"