Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fibber McGee's vaudeville act

     Molly: What did you do - tell her some stories?
     Fibber: I done better than that. I done the whole vaudeville act that I and Fred Nitney, the guy that me and him had an act together from Starved Rock, Illinois, done in vaudeville.
     Molly: I've heard you mention vaudeville.
     Fibber: Yes sir. I gave her the whole thing, all except the finish. I couldn't do that because I didn't have all my props. I was short a bicycle, and oil painting of President Mckinley, a Roman candle, a blow torch, two plaster of Paris models of the Statue of Liberty, a Rhode Island Red rooster, a white powder pigeon and a blue-bellied wood duck.
     Molly: What did you do with all those things in vaudeville?
     Fibber: Well . . . Fred rode out on the stage on the bicycle with me sitting on his shoulders, the oil painting of President McKinley propped on the handlebars and the Roman candle in his mouth. I lit the Roman candle with the blow torch and as it went off, I juggled the two models of the Statue of Liberty, sang "Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue," opened the bird cage which was hung around my neck and let loose the Rhode Island Red rooster, the white powder pigeon and the blue-bellied wood duck. Used to cause quite a bit of comment.


Vaudeville act

No comments: