Thursday, November 28, 2013

Hurlbut's Story of the Bible

My father is a devout, God-fearing man, but his personality is such that he has never found it easy to talk much about the personal and emotional aspects of his religion. However, when we were growing up, he was faithful for years to read to us from Hurlbut's Story of the Bible. This Bible story book was published in 1905 and was written by Jesse Lyman Hurlbut, a Methodist Episcopal minister. Most evenings he would read a story or two to us from this book, and ask us the questions found in the back. Later, when my children were that age, I bought a copy and did the same thing with them. Although there was a little editing I had to do from time to time from a doctrinal standpoint, for the most part his stories are very good and can be read as they are. I recommend the book highly. It was an important part of my upbringing.

No comments: