Thursday, August 15, 2013

The summers of 1980 and 2013

These summers are, respectively, the hottest and coolest of my memory. (I am 60 years old at this writing. This summer has hardly seemed like summer, at least by Arkansas' sauna bath standards. Here we are in mid-August and the forecast highs for the next three days are 85 and below. Frequently this time of year those would be the lows, not the highs. On the other hand, 1980 was just brutal! Day after day after day of 100 degree weather without a break and with virtually no rain. And it hung on later than usual, if my memory serves me correctly.

Through 2006, at least, the most consecutive 100 degree days on record were July 5-19, 1980 (15 days). My mother told me years ago that the year I turned one year old (1954) was a terribly hot summer, and caused he a lot of difficulty caring for me. The most 100 degree days in a summer in Arkansas was in 1980 (47), followed by 1954 (46). After that it drops off to 27 days. So, the two hottest summers on record were during my lifetime.

No comments: