Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A unique proposal

     "Your show closes soon?"
     "They've extended the time for another week. Then I am going back to New Orleans."
     "You're not taking any of the offers you've had?"
     She smiled at me. "None of those I've had so far, Ben. But you never can tell . . . if the right offer came along, well, I might listen."
     "I was coming around to that. How about a run of the show contract? That's the only offer I could make. At this moment I don't even know where the show will be playing, and I m not sure of the town or the place . . . only the time."
     "Would I be the leading lady?"
     "Of course. With top billing always."
     "I'll take the offer, Ben. It's just the one I've been waiting for."

(from Bendigo Shafter, by Louis Lamour)

1 comment:

Leah said...

pretty swuave, I'd say.