Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pam and the ash hopper

My wife and I were married in 1973. Before we were married, I took her to meet my grandparents in Magazine, Arkansas. My grandfather was born in 1887 and died in 1975, just after our first son was born. When he met Pam, he somehow got her name wrong, and forever after she was "Pat" to him. He called her over to him and asked her if she had her ash hopper ready, since she was going to be married. Evidently in the old days this tool was an essential of homemaking. We have laughed about his question ever since.

For the uninitiated, an ash hopper was a contraption that was used to make lye soap from ashes and rain water.

Here is a LINK that tells about the use of ash hoppers.

1 comment:

nanny said...

To the curious: no, I did not get one before we married, but I did find out how to build one and how it worked so when Grandpa Asa asked again, I was ready with an answer. That man was someone you did not triffle with. He was serious, and I was too when it came to an ash hopper.