Monday, February 24, 2014

Sugar Grove, Arkansas - a tough community

Sugar Grove is a small rural community located just south of Magazine, Arkansas, and east of Blue Mountain Lake in southern Logan County. I am not sure just how the school districts fall, but when I was growing up, some of those who attended the Booneville public schools were from the general Sugar Grove area. The economic standard of that area was not very high. One thing you could count on was that they would be tough as nails, and they had the reputation of being willing to fight at the drop of a hat, and they would drop it. In past generations, it was rumored that Sugar Grove was the site of a considerable amount of bootlegging activity. Probably the citizens of the Sugar Grove area got a “bad rap” and were unfairly stereotyped, but that was their reputation at that point in time. Sugar Grove and “tough” were synonyms.
General Store in Sugar Grove, 1929

8 comments:

Leah said...

I just knew that the Sugar Grove kids had a reputation even when I was growing up.

nanny said...

Is there anything left in sugar grove?

Anonymous said...

No theres nothing left of sugar grove, people still live out there but all the industry in the area is gone.

angryexwife said...

My grandfather was born in Sugar Grove in 1906 and, yep, he was a bootlegger.

Anonymous said...

I'm from Sugar Grove it's beautiful country and peaceful now day's I am a fish generation Sugar Grover

Anonymous said...

My father and 7 siblings were born and raised there. 7 of them are buried at the Lick Creek Cemetery in Sugar Grove. They were rough because life was rough. I hope to rest there some day too.

Shana Wilkins Ralph said...

My father grew up there my grandparents too several generations actually. They all had a rough life but good people.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if we are related