Monday, September 09, 2013

My father-in-law's response to our youngest child

My in-laws had three children. We had four in just over six years, then there was a four-year gap before the fifth. When we announced her pending arrival, it caused a great deal of concern with my wife's parents, particularly her father. We could not afford another one (which we couldn't). It would be too much work for my wife (which it was). But she had Leah, and we survived. Then another five years went by, and we announced that Sarah was enroute.

We expected an explosion, but got none. In fact, Papaw seemed to be delighted to be having another grandchild. Perhaps it was a premonition on his part, because he died before she was a year old. We have one picture of him holding Sarah, and I would not take a million dollars for it.

No comments: