Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Lord Ickenham at his best

          Constable Potter's gaze grew sterner. He was resolved to probe this thing to the bottom. "He give me your suitcase to take to the house, and he said, 'This here belongs to Major Brabazon-Plank.'"
          Lord Ickenham laughed amusedly.
          "Just a slip of the tongue, such as so often occurs. He meant Brabazon-Plank, major. As opposed to my brother, who, being younger than me is, of course, Brabazon-Plank, minor. I can understand you being confused," said Lord Ickenham with a commiserating glance at the officer, into whose face had crept the boiled look of one who finds the conversation becoming too abstruse. Three kippers, four eggs and half a loaf of bread, while nourishing the body, take the keen edge off the mental powers. "And what renders it all the more complex is that as I myself am a mining engineer by profession, anyone who wants to get straight on the Brabazon-Plank situation has got to keep steadily before him the fact that the minor is a major and the major is a miner. I have known strong men to break down on realizing this. So you know my minor, the major, do you?"

(from Uncle Dynamite, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: