Sunday, December 22, 2013

My father's shaving routine

To me, shaving is a chore to be gotten out of the way as quickly as possible. I recall, however, that my father seemed to regard it as a luxury. Of course, he approached it a lot differently than I did. He took his time with it. First, he would take a hot wash rag and hold it on his face for a while to soften his beard (and his beard is heavier than mine). Then he would squeeze a little shaving soap from a tube onto his shaving brush and lather his face. I use a cup and brush, but Daddy always preferred the soap he got in a tube. I am not sure, but I think Colgate was his usual brand. He shaved slowly and carefully, and as a result looked good when he got through. On the other hand, I usually looked like I had been in a knife fight - on the losing end. Daddy took a chore and made it a pleasure.

man-shaving.jpg

1 comment:

mantic59 said...

So why not shave like him?