Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Mr. Steptoe gets his back up

          "Listen," he said, "what's all this about fetching cops?"
          "I intend to send this man to prison."
          "Do you? said Mr. Steptoe, red about the eyes and bulging in the torso. "Is that a fact? Well, listen while I tell you something. This guy Weatherby is a right guy, and he doesn't go to any hoosegow, not while I have my strength."
          "Well spoken, Steptoe," said Joss.
          "The boy's good," said Mrs. Chavender.
          "A fine fellow," said Joss. "I liked him from the first." This excellent press emboldened Mr. Steptoe to continue.
          "Who does this pottrait belong to? Me. Who's the interested party, then? Me. So who's got to prosecute if guys are to be slapped in the cooler for swiping it? Me. M-e, me," said Mr. Steptoe, who was all right at words of one syllable.

(from Quick Service, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)        

No comments: