Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Praise for Bill Oakshott

I know few men whom I respect more than William Oakshott. Of all my circle he is the one I would choose first to be on my side in the event of unpleasantness with an alligator. And while it may be argued, and with perfect justice, that the part which alligators play in the average normal married life is not a large one, it is no bad thing for a girl to have a husband capable of putting them in their place. The man who can prop an alligator's jaws open with a stick and then, avoiding its lashing tail, dispatch it with a meat ax is a man who can be trusted to help fire the cook. So no one will rejoice more heartily then I when the bells ring out in the little village church and you come tripping down the aisle on Bill Oakshott's sinewy arm.

(from Uncle Dynamite, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: